Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Non-Traditional assembly


EVIT Non-Traditional students were invited to their first assembly to learn why they are special and brainstorm ways to help other students like themselves get involved in programs they are passionate about.

The term "non-traditional" refers to students of a certain gender who are studying a field dominated by the opposite gender. For example, male students in cosmetology or female students in law enforcement. I explained more about it here.

The non-trad committee got a lot of positive feedback from the students. The committee is hoping to set up a club and find ways for the students to mentor others.

The students had a chance to give "testimonials" about why they got into the programs they chose. Here are a few things they had to say:
  • Male massage therapy student: "It's a pretty cool field to be in. It makes people feel good."
  • Female fire science student: "Ever since I was little, I always wanted to do the guy jobs. I like the excitement of fire fighting."
  • Male medical assisting student: "This is a way to be in the medical field while I go to college to become a doctor."
  • Female radio student: "I love music, I love talking, I love meeting new people. So what could be better for me than radio?"
  • Male cosmetology student: "I always wanted to do cosmetology, since I was little. I love helping people look pretty."
The assembly was also a way for the students to meet each other ... and to dance a little. Let's compare moves, shall we?

A few talented AM non-trads dancing up a storm:


And some PM non-trads rockin' out some "YMCA":


That's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment